Natsume’s Book of Friends, Vol. 24

Curl up with a good book!
by Yuki Midorikawa | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 9781974711994 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/2/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, August 2, 2020
I've been enjoying this series about a lonely teenager who can see spirits since I first stumbled across it, and have been picking up more volumes as I find them. I got this one at the local Barnes and Noble. This tends to be a gentle series, with touches of humor, creepiness, and poignancy, and I like it very much. This one picks up from Volume 23, though most of the stories are episodic enough that you can read any particular volume without having read the rest of the series.

Later: The cover-art on this one shows two of Natsume's friends, Tanuma and Taki, both of whom have some ability to sense yokai, though not nearly to the same level as Natsume. But they have helped him feel more comfortable about his own situation, as he now has more people with whom he can talk about yokai without being ridiculed or bullied.

The first story here deals with Taki, whose older brother has returned from school for a visit - and has apparently brought a yokai with him, all unaware. (There's a funny bit where Natsume tries to imagine what he looks like based on the snippets he's heard about him; when he actually meets Isamu he's quite surprised!)

Turns out that while Taki and her grandfather bonded over their interest in yokai, Isamu was always a skeptic, finding rational explanations for anything the others suggested might be a spirit - but he does love his sister. This story has some nicely creepy scenes - which turn out to be benign after all, and lead to a very touching discovery.

Another story features Tanuma, whose father has asked him to stay home and greet a friend - only the friend who turns up isn't the one the father meant, and Tanuma finds himself hanging out with someone who turns out to be a yokai. Since Tanuma's ability to sense yokai doesn't usually include actually SEEING them, he's feeling rather pleased about this - he thinks it lets him share some of what Natsume goes through all the time. There's some concern that the yokai's interest in him might be dangerous, but by the time Natsume and Tanuma figure out what's really going on, it turns out to be rather sweet.

This volume also has a special episode centering on one of the movies that exorcist-and-sometime-actor Natori stars in; the author's notes show that it was the animated film production team that suggested "The Brilliant Detective" as the series name. In this short tale, Natsume and his friends are watching the movie when a power outage interrupts, and they have fun speculating as to who the actual murderer is, based on what they know of Natori and his movie character. Quite fun.

The final story in this volume is about appreciating the beauty in all things.

Another enjoyable entry in this lovely series.

[There's an anime adaptation; I've watched several episodes and found it just as charming as the manga. Recommended! And the TV Tropes page is quite entertaining.]

Released 2 mos ago (11/28/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, New Searles Rd [OBCZ] in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in my Little Free Library on this rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2022 e-less challenge. ***