Eleanor Rigby

by DOUGLAS COUPLAND | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 1/13/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 13, 2020
Wikipedia says, "Eleanor Rigby is a 2004 novel by Douglas Coupland, about a lonely woman at ages 36 and 42. The novel is written as a first-person narrative by the main character, Liz Dunn.

The novel centres on changes to Liz's life when someone from her past unexpectedly re-enters her life. It is written in a light, often comic, tone, but resonates on many deeper issues, including loneliness, family, religious visions and multiple sclerosis."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 18, 2021
It took me a bit to get into the book, but having enjoyed Coupland before (I read
Generation X and Microserfs back in the day) I decided to persevere. And I sure am glad I did. This is a funny, tragic and surprising story about loneliness and about a middle-aged woman finding herself and coming back to life. And what's best, it ends up with a touch of hope. Recommended!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, January 23, 2021

Released 1 yr ago (1/23/2021 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Here's your pick from the 1st sentence vbb. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Wednesday, January 27, 2021
Thank you, Annimanni. This is a new book and author to me, but based on what you write above, I look forward to reading it. And what a coincidence: I just this month read a book inspired by the Beatles song Eleanor Rigby!

Journal Entry 5 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Friday, December 31, 2021
The book was a bit slow (and not-so-interesting) at the start, but the story soon picked up and developed into a tale that had lots of humour and wit, heart-wrenching sadness and a pinch of hope. And many surprise turns. It was light and deep simultaneously. I liked the way Copeland wove together Liz Dunn's teenage experiences and her adult life and relationships with her various family members. The dialogue is also great.

A year ago I had a chance to read Gervase Phinn's book All These Lonely People (Quick Read) that is based on the Beatles song Eleanor Rigby. It is very different from Douglas Coupland's novel, but I think the first read book coloured my sentiments and thoughts about one of the main themes, loneliness.

Journal Entry 6 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Sunday, January 2, 2022
This book is my choice for the Favourite Book of 2021 Roundabout. Happy travels, little book!

The order of the Roundabout is:
1. Paulanni (Finland) - read
10. Poodlesister (UK) - read
11. earthcaroleanne (UK)
12. greenbadger (UK)
13. grovalskii (Germany)

No need to send back to me in the end.

Journal Entry 7 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Sunday, January 2, 2022

Released 7 mos ago (1/3/2022 UTC) at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland

And it leaves for the first leg of its journey.

Journal Entry 8 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, January 5, 2022
Arrived today! I read (and enjoyed if I remember correctly) Girlfriend in a Coma years ago, so looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 9 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, January 17, 2022
I wasn't sure about this book to start out with, but it certainly grew on me as I went along. I liked the humorous, light-hearted style that belies the depth of some of the issues that it touches on. The pandemic has shown us just how easily people can end up lonely when their usual work/classes/sport/nights on the town etc. can't take place. So rather topical too. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by wingFifnawing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, January 17, 2022

Released 6 mos ago (1/17/2022 UTC) at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland

On its way to estelle1806.

Journal Entry 11 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, January 24, 2022
Thank you Fifna, for posting this book and Paulanni for sharing, I will hopefully start it soon. Sorry, I am already late finishing my first book of the roundabout...

Journal Entry 12 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, February 6, 2022
6* from me for this book, which I liked. It took a while to hook me but I found it overall enjoyable.

Journal Entry 13 by wingestelle1806wing at Book Roundabout, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Sunday, February 6, 2022

Released 6 mos ago (2/7/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

This is the second book of the roundabout, travelling to mathgirl40.
I thought I was late, but I caught up already with this short book...

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 14 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 25, 2022
This book is with me now. I've enjoyed a couple of Coupland's other novels (and even saw one of his art exhibitions once) and am looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 15 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 8, 2022
I really enjoyed this story, which mixes Coupland's humorous and insightful observations on society with the serious themes of loneliness and illness. Thank you, Paulanni, for offering this book to the roundabout.

Journal Entry 16 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 8, 2022

Released 4 mos ago (4/8/2022 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to mcsar now.

Journal Entry 17 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, April 22, 2022
Book is here, but I think I will set it travelling soon, since it can join another book for the roundabout that is about to travel to the next reader. This way it will help finish the rounds in time. I have my own copy, which I have been planning to read forever so that I can do a themed release at one of his artworks in downtown Vancouver. Now I finally have the impetus to get started on the book. I will start reading my copy soon and update here with my comments when I am done.

===========
Updated 27 April, 2022

This is my first read of Coupland and it is a good introduction. I also found this one a bit slow to start. But the story quickly picked up and I enjoyed it. The story and the main character grew on me. I also really liked the mix of humor and the seriousness of the themes. A great pick for the roundabout.

Journal Entry 18 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, April 24, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (4/24/2022 UTC) at Richmond, British Columbia Canada

On its way to valpete. I just started reading my own copy today. Will update my last journal entry when I am finished.

Journal Entry 19 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, April 28, 2022
Received. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 20 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, May 12, 2022
Liz, being an extremely lonely woman, in reconnecting with her son, was able to come back to a more fulfilling life. I found some of the parts disconcerting, like the part where she is crawling along the highway. An interesting book...great for the roundabout.

Journal Entry 21 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, May 12, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (5/13/2022 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Off across the pond to the next reader.

Journal Entry 22 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 20, 2022
Received- Thank you

Journal Entry 23 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 26, 2022
I thought this might be quite a depressing book and was slightly worried about picking it up, but the tone of writing stops it becoming so. Liz is actually quite funny and although obsessed with dying and death, seems to function through her life actually quite well. The arrival of Jeremy doesn't exactly turn her life upside down as in some weird way, it almost magnifies her loneliness and obsessions. But it does make her reassess some of her hide-bound mentalities. I loved the whole twist with the meteorite - that episode was written with a humorous smirk that I adored. Overall, a good read and one that I was surprised to enjoy.

Released 2 mos ago (6/2/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next reader

Journal Entry 25 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 6, 2022
Here with me.

Thanks very much.

Journal Entry 26 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, June 30, 2022
I recognised the title and author when it arrived but I had no idea what the story was about.

One of those books that likes to make its point in a melancholy way but it had a lot of lighter moments too. Just not really my cup of tea but I might give this author another go in the future.

Journal Entry 27 by Ythan at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, June 30, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (6/30/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way to Cross-patch.

Journal Entry 28 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, July 1, 2022
And it’s here. Thank you.

Journal Entry 29 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, July 11, 2022
Insightful, humorous, sad, disarming book. I loved it.

Released 1 mo ago (7/11/2022 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Ready for the next reader.

Journal Entry 31 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 13, 2022
This is with me. I’ve still got the previous roundabout book to read so it will be a few weeks before this travels on again.

Journal Entry 32 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 3, 2022
Odd, but funny and bittersweet.

Released 4 days ago (8/6/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going to earthcaroleanne