In Five Years

Yours always
by Rebecca Serle | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 9781982137441 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/14/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, March 14, 2020
I got this hardcover from Toadstool Books in its new Nashua location. It's about a woman who gets a brief glimpse of her own life five years in the future - and then has to figure out what to do with that knowledge... (I enjoyed Serle's The Dinner List, with a different spin on examining one's life, goals, and choices.)

Later: While this book also dealt with what-ifs and choices, its focus was quite different than I'd expected. It spins on the often-used job-interview question about where you see yourself in five years - a question that always bugs me because I don't think about my future that way, but in the context of a personal life it's... an interesting discussion point. Anyway, protagonist Dannie gets a glimpse of her own life in five years - a startling one in which she's in bed with a man she's never met, not her current fiance, and is experiencing intense emotions unlike anything she's known before. She assumes this is a very realistic dream and gets on with her life, but a few years later she meets the dream-man, actually her best friend's new fiance, and begins to dread the dream becoming reality.

Things are more complicated than that, though - impressions pop up suggesting that the "dream" was a planned vision, and that Dannie isn't the only person able to glimpse the future in that way. But what was it all for? It did affect the way Dannie reacted to the events in her best friend's life, but as it was that friend and her own influences on Dannie that formed the main component of the story, the whole five-years-future vision felt... off to me. Perhaps that was because I couldn't really empathize with Dannie and her life- and career-choices all that much... Ah, well!

Released 1 mo ago (10/21/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Adult Learning Center in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library outside the Adult Learning Center; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Tick Tock challenge. ***