The Spy and the Traitor

by Ben Macintyre | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 0241972132 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingLamillawing of St. Petersburg/Санкт-Петербург, St. Petersburg (Federal City) Russia on 10/16/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingLamillawing from St. Petersburg/Санкт-Петербург, St. Petersburg (Federal City) Russia on Saturday, October 16, 2021
Paperback, used good. Ordered for the birthday group.
Happy birthday!

The book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world.

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, November 23, 2021
This looks like a really good book, with two generous sections of photographs to illustrate it. Thank you very much, Lamilla!

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, December 11, 2021
An amazing story that's even the more exciting because it's true.

While reading it I remembered an encounter I had on a train between London and Darlington when I was about 18 (so this was in the 1960s). A good-looking young man was sitting next to me and he engaged a conversation by asking about my book, which I think was probably Emma as it was one I carried around with me. He had a foreign accent and was very charming but a bit strange because at one point he told me he was a spy. Of course I didn't believe him, why would a spy admit that to an unknown 18-year-old girl? Then he said, well to prove it, do you remember when I took my cigarette lighter out? I photographed you with it. I started to think he was maybe slightly mad. Some time later a surprising thing happened - he got up and left the carriage, and then the train stopped between stations, in the middle of nowhere - all I could see out of the window was snow-covered fields. I heard voices outside, and suddenly, there was my man running past the window, brandishing his umbrella! He waved to me and disappeared, and the train moved on.

Journal Entry 4 by wingover-the-moonwing at Avenue Floréal in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, January 3, 2022

Released 3 wks ago (1/4/2022 UTC) at Avenue Floréal in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

well worth the long read. For the meetup.