Hey, Nostradamus !

by DOUGLAS COUPLAND | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by skribble of -- Somewhere in London, Greater London United Kingdom on 4/18/2004
Journal Entry 1 by skribble from -- Somewhere in London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 18, 2004
From the back cover:
'Cheryl Anyway,17, secretly married to her high-school sweetheart and pregnant, doodles "God is nowhere, God is now here" on her class binder. Hours later, clutching the same binder, she is shot dead.......'

Journal Entry 2 by skribble from -- Somewhere in London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 21, 2004
I keep reading Coupland's books and keep being disappointed. I think his focus on individuals lost in a modern world and their futile searching for meaning, simply clashes with my eternally positive outlook. I want to take hold of the characters shake them up and give them a good talking too.

That said, I do feel Coupland does pick up on something true about human existance in today's Western world and I enjoyed this more than any of his previous novels. The first section, narrated by Cheryl, the 17 year old victim of a massacre was beautiful. The voice was so distinctive and realistic. I will come back to this book at some point, if only to reread this first chapter.

Released on Thursday, May 06, 2004 at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release Controlled Releases.

Posted to Optics

Journal Entry 4 by optics from Derby, not specified not specified on Monday, May 31, 2004
Much a fan I am of Douglas's work, read as much of it as I can. I have been disappointed with his Miss Wyoming and All Families are Psychotic but this one did have that certain flare edging back into his work. The Cheryl part of the book was most emotional but all the way through you are dealing with a family that does not get on well. It shows parts of life that you know goes but usually are left to guess about the secrets between a couples, scams that are pulled, the arguements, the fights and hatred within families. It gives the charaters a realistic edge.

This will not be my new top Coupland book but it was good to read and I look forward to the next one.