Outlander

by Diana Gabaldon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mlbish of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on 4/16/2004
Journal Entry 1 by mlbish from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, April 16, 2004
From amazon:

After being separated by seven years of World War II, Claire and Frank Randall return to the Scottish Highlands for a second honeymoon. Left to her own devices while her husband immerses himself in historical pursuits, Claire inadvertently enters a circle of standing stones and is plunged back 200 years to a Scotland on the verge of the second Jacobite uprising. Her pluck and skill as a nurse win the Scots' grudging respect, but only marriage to a Scot will save her from the clutches of Frank's vicious forbear, Black Jack Randall. Though first novelist Gabaldon uses time travel primarily to allow a modern heroine, this is basically a richly textured historical novel with an unusual and compelling love story.

Really great book! It's a little racy in a fun way, but it's a lot more than that too. Definitely a cut above bodice-rippy 'historical fiction'. I really did learn a lot about Scottish history. I loved it and I don't even like romance.

Reserved for Drommie1810's historical fiction bookbox.

Journal Entry 2 by mlbish from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, September 3, 2004
This one is going in drommie1810's Historical Fiction Bookbox! Hope someone enjoys it.

Journal Entry 3 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, November 17, 2004
Removed from Drommie's bookbox. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 5, 2005
I thought I wanted to read this book. I've heard people talk about it. For some reason, now that I look through it again, it isn't appealing to me. Not to worry. I have a new home picked out. :)

Journal Entry 5 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, April 10, 2005
Sending as a Boorelay to Starry-Starry. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Starry-Starry from Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 20, 2005
It's arrived, thanks very much lauraloo29. I wanted to read this because I thought it had an element of time-travel about it, but I see now that is a very small part of the story. The blurb on the back reminds me of Stephen Lawhead's "Song of Albion" trilogy, hopefully this will be as good as that.

Journal Entry 7 by abrokenstarr from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 5, 2007
Arrived today. Thankyou!

Journal Entry 8 by abrokenstarr at Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 17, 2011

Whilst on holiday with her husband in Scotland, Claire Randall is transported back to the 18th century, where she meets Jamie Fraser and experiences the lives of that time.  Mistrusted by most and feeling completely alone, Claire desperately tries to get herself back to her previous life.  Unsurprisingly though, the longer she spends in 18th century Scotland, the more attached she becomes to the people there.

It's a hybrid book, featuring some elements of historical fiction, some science fiction and some romantic fiction.  It's an enjoyable read and I'll be looking out for Dragonfly in Amber, the second book in the series.

I'll be passing this on to a friend.