La's Orchestra Saves the World

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0349122059 Global Overview for this book
Registered by daffodil-2 of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 6/21/2018
Journal Entry 1 by daffodil-2 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, June 21, 2018
This book was given to me by my friend Lin for bookcrossing. It is a paperback in quite good condition.

From the cover:- "With a failed marriage behind her, La (short for Lavender) moves to the Suffolk countryside on the eve of the Second World War to nurse her broken heart. She bring together the local people to form an orchestra and one of the musical recruits is Feliks, a handsome but enigmatic Polish refugee...…."

REVIEW:-"At first I didn't think I'd like this book at all but I soon started to enjoy it. I quite liked La's character but wasn't too enamoured of the other people in the story. I felt that La was very fortunate to have been treated so well and generously by her in-laws and wondered if this was likely to have happened in real life, considering the circumstances of her marriage.
I enjoyed the fact that the story was set in Suffolk, the county which borders my own beloved county of Norfolk and felt that it was well described. The whole book was very slow-paced.
I didn't always understand people's motives for their action e.g. why La visited her old University lecturer, Dr. Price, who she wasn't at all fond of.
I felt sad when Feliks said that he "hadn't left much behind" in Poland although this included his elderly mother and his sister.
I liked the conclusion of the story and the fact that there weren't too many graphic descriptions of war casualties in the book in general. (This may have been because every book I've read recently has been about either the First or Second World Wars). I've really enjoyed all the Ladies Detective Agency books by this author but this book is no match for any of them."

I'm reserving the book for Snoopy56-another detective agency fan, as I'd be interested to know what she thinks of it.

Journal Entry 2 by daffodil-2 at Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, September 3, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (9/3/2018 UTC) at Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book was given to Snoopy56 when we met for lunch today. I shall be interested to hear what she thinks of it as we both really enjoy the author's Ladies Detective Agency books, although this one is quite different.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 3 by snoopy56 at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (10/6/2018 UTC) at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Putting on the book buffet at the 2018 uncon.

Journal Entry 4 by snoopy56 at Ormesby St Margaret with Scratby, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 2, 2018
A slim novel quite different from the author’s Dectective Agency books. There was very little apparent humour which I think is the strength of his other writing.

Journal Entry 5 by Katweeble at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 8, 2018
Looking forward to reading this - and great to meet up with friends at the Ipswich uncon 2018

Journal Entry 6 by Katweeble at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 28, 2019
A quick light read about La who moves to Suffolk after her husband leaves her just before the 2nd world war. It describes her interactions with 2 local farmers , a manager from the local airbase and Feliks a Polish refugee. She decides to start a local orchestra which helps to improve morale.

Journal Entry 7 by sandyundead at Bydgoszcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie Poland on Saturday, September 7, 2019
This was a gentle story about resilience during wartime, but set away from the battlefield. Twists were fairly predictable, but that may be due to the fact that I live in Poland and am aware of some of the history here. I agree with daffodil-2 about not understanding La's relationship with Dr. Price. (By the way daffodil-2, I've just been to Norwich for the first time and fell in love with it!) :)

I'll release it somewhere in Bydgoszcz today.