The Ninth Life of Louis Drax

by Liz Jensen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by choclaholic of Fort Worth, Texas USA on 7/17/2017
Journal Entry 1 by choclaholic from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Monday, July 17, 2017
I had seen a preview for the movie that was based on this book, and said movie preview intrigued me. I also said to myself, I bet that was adapted from a book! I will watch that movie soon, but in the meantime I went ahead and researched and ordered the book.

The book was well written with a unique premise. The pluses: I haven't been reading much lately, yet this story held my attention so that I finished it in two days. Traveling by myself helped, and also, it is only about 225 pages long.

The minuses: The main characters were unlikable-y flawed; I especially objected to the doctor (neurologist). The author had the doctor do what he did to carry the plot along, but still, it was morally objectionable and in some ways unbelievable. In fact, there was at least one other morally objectionable premises in the book, which was the merciless killing of the hamsters. And then buying the replacement hamsters. I found both the doctor's actions around Louis' mother and Louis' treatment of his hamsters to be terribly upsetting.

As far as the unique premise of the story: although the construct of Louis' ninth life in his dream-like coma world was unique, I thought it could have been further developed than it was; very little time was actually devoted to it in the book.

Finally, much of the who-dunnit mystery-subplot of why Louis was accident-prone was fairly predictable, and I saw it coming early on.

Overall, this was not a life changing or memorable story, but it was ok. Too much unlikable, unbelievable and immoral pieces in it, for me, to overcome the decency of the writing. However, a lot of people really liked this so maybe its just me.

I am leaving this at the hotel where I am staying while traveling; I'll still go ahead and watch the movie, but I'm expecting the movie to have about the same "wow" factor (or lack thereof) as the book did.

Journal Entry 2 by choclaholic at Marriott in Nashville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Released 5 yrs ago (7/18/2017 UTC) at Marriott in Nashville, Tennessee USA