Falling Angels

Live Life Like a Book...
by Tracy Chevalier | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingearthcaroleannewing of Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on 11/28/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 28, 2018
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join.

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, earthcaroleanne, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossings!

Journal Entry 2 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 28, 2018
Falling Angels follows the lives of two very different best friends from five years old through to their teens. Lavinia is spoilt, beautiful yet insecure about her families' (slight) lack of wealth. Maude is plain but intelligent and compassionate, well off but unaware of it. Each chapter is taken from different characters points of view - the girls, their parents and families, cooks and maids. This is where Chevalier shines - the plot is never confused or lost amongst all these different voices. These shifting view points only add to the compelling story.

The book starts with the death of Queen Victoria and the new ruling of King Edward. Chevalier weaves slow, subtle social changes of the Edwardian era into the storylines and quietly looks at how it affects the characters, the females especially. The Suffragettes movement is largely featured, Maude’s mother becomes involved and quickly becomes consumed by it. Chevaliers' talent is creating atmosphere and stillness in very ordinary situations.

I send this out as my choice for the Favourite Book of 2016 roundabout.

Released 2 yrs ago (10/11/2019 UTC) at St Luke's Community Centre, Duston in Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

At this year's unconvention, I'm giving away my 50 favourite books for my 50th birthday. This was a favourite I read in 2016.

Journal Entry 4 by Katweeble at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 12, 2019
Added to mount tbr taken from the book buffet at the Northampton 2019 convention.

Journal Entry 5 by Katweeble at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 9, 2020
I was surprised by some of the things that happened in this book considering it starts at the time of Queen Victoria’s death and runs until the death of her son 10 years later. The style of writing is to love between the viewpoints of a range of characters focussing around two families with daughters. Fascinating.

Journal Entry 6 by sandyundead at Bydgoszcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie Poland on Sunday, May 23, 2021
Mum (katweeble) passed this on to me. I'll give it to other teachers at our school - hopefully some of them will journal it!
This made an interesting change - set in a time period I haven't read much from before, with a multitude of voices, an interesting location and an unusual story.