Mateship with Birds

by Carrie Tiffany | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjeniwrenwing of Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on 12/31/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingjeniwrenwing from Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, December 31, 2016
On the outskirts of an Australian country town in the 1950s, a lonely farmer trains his binoculars on a family of kookaburras that roost in a tree near his house. Harry observes the kookaburras through a year of feast, famine, birth, death, war, romance and song. As Harry watches the birds, his next door neighbour has her own set of binoculars trained on him. Ardent, hard-working Betty has escaped to the country with her two fatherless children. Betty is pleased that her son, Michael, wants to spend time with the gentle farmer next door. But when Harry decides to teach Michael about the opposite sex, perilous boundaries are crossed.

Mateship with Birds is a novel about young lust and mature love. It is a hymn to the rhythm of country life — to vicious birds, virginal cows, adored dogs and ill-used sheep. On one small farm in a vast, ancient landscape, a collection of misfits question the nature of what a family can be.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjeniwrenwing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Friday, January 6, 2017

Released 5 yrs ago (1/9/2017 UTC) at Balingup, Western Australia Australia

This is such a gorgeous book. I have read the author's previous debut novel 'Everyman's Scientific Rules for Living' which is an all time favourite and I am wondering as to why I have not picked this up before now. It is a very sensual and primal read detailing the beauty and harsh nature of farm life. I especially liked the sections on bird behaviour. A fine start to my new reading year.

Wishlisted book /Australasian Wishlist Tag Game.

Journal Entry 3 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Thanks very much for the tag jeniwren
- looks interesting. :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, September 22, 2018
I found this to be a quiet but confident and original novel, which both surprised and delighted me. The excellent writing has a pace and tone which perfectly reflects the times, and the characters (human and non-human) are drawn lovingly. A thoroughly enjoyable read. And I now know much more about Kookaburras too!

Next stop Darwin as a wishlist tag to amberC.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, September 24, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (9/25/2018 UTC) at Balingup, Western Australia Australia

Sending north to amberC as a wishlist tag.

Journal Entry 6 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, October 1, 2018
Thanks for tagging me.

Journal Entry 7 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, December 17, 2021
Well written with believable characters. A look at life in the country at that time.

Released 1 mo ago (5/20/2022 UTC) at Australia Post in Australia Post, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

To be released in the Nambucca Heads Community Garden Bookcrossing Zone.

Journal Entry 9 by wingglenystasmaniawing at Nambucca Heads, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 2, 2022
Arrived today, releasing to Growing Together Community Garden Centre

Released 4 wks ago (6/3/2022 UTC) at Growing Together Community Gardens Centre in Nambucca Heads, New South Wales Australia

enjoy this Australian novel