The Return

by Victoria Hislop | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by daffodil-2 of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 12/29/2016
Journal Entry 1 by daffodil-2 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, December 29, 2016
This good condition paperback was given to me by my sister-in-law C for bookcrossing.

It tells the story of Sonia and Maggie who go on holiday together to Granada to dance. They learn the extraordinary tale of Spain's civil war as well as the salsa and flamenco.

I started to read this book, in fact I read over 100 pages before giving up with it. I felt it was well-written but it just didn't keep my interest. However I hope it will go on to find another reader who will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 2 by daffodil-2 at Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (6/7/2017 UTC) at Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book was given to my friend and fellow bookcrosser Snoopy56 when we met today for Lunch and chat.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Released 2 yrs ago (6/28/2019 UTC) at Boîte à livres - Rue des Chevaliers in Homps, Languedoc-Roussillon France

Left while cruising on the Canal du Midi.

Journal Entry 4 by snoopy56 at Ormesby St Margaret with Scratby, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, June 28, 2019
This was a perfect holiday read. The contrast between the two main themes of the book - love of dancing and the horrors of the Spanish Civil war was very stark. There were some aspects of the civil war that I was unaware of such as the establishment of very basic refugee camps over the border in France and the evacuation of large numbers of children to the UK where they were resettled in small groups around the country. Some returned to Spain after the war but those who had neither family or homes to return to ended up staying in England.