The Long Earth

by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Baxter | Science Fiction & Fantasy | This book has not been rated.
Registered by hon-no-tomo of Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on 8/18/2014
Journal Entry 1 by hon-no-tomo from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, August 18, 2014
The possibilities are endless (just be careful what you wish for...)

1916: the Western Front, France. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong, and the wind in the leaves in the trees. Where has the mud, blood and blasted landscape of No man's Land gone?

2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Cop Monica Jansson has returned to the burned-out home of one Willis Linsay, a reclusive and some said mad, others dangerous, scientist. It was arson but, as is often the way, the firemen seem to have caused more damage than the fire itself. Stepping through the wreck of a house, there's no sign of any human remains but on the mantelpiece Monica finds a curious gadget - a box, containing some wiring, a three-way switch and a...potato. It is the prototype of an invention that Linsay called a 'stepper'. An invention he put up on the web for all the world to see, and use, an invention that would to change the way mankind viewed his world Earth for ever. And that's an understatement if ever there was one...

Journal Entry 2 by hon-no-tomo at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, August 18, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (8/19/2014 UTC) at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Released at the monthly meeting.

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. We would love it, if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it.

Journal Entry 3 by winglunaciawing at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway on Tuesday, August 19, 2014
Picked this book at the meetup in Dublin today. The book will come with me home to Norway. I've been curious about these books for a while, and seeing this pop up at the meetup left me no choise than to grab it.

Journal Entry 4 by winglunaciawing at Grünerløkka bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, April 13, 2021
I seem to have forgotten to journal this, it's now in my huge pile of AVL books, that keeps on growing due to the pandemic...

I must be honest and say I was disappointed by this book. I had high hopes, and thought the concept was interesting. It had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it did not live up to my expectations. I'm a bit on the fence on whether to read book two or not. I might, because it could change, or I might not, because the first book wasn't as good as I had hoped.

Journal Entry 5 by winglunaciawing at Lesekiosk 50 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Saturday, September 11, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (9/11/2021 UTC) at Lesekiosk 50 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

Left on the shelf in the "phone booth library" by Bislett stadion.