The Making of Nebraska Brown

by Louise Caiola | e-Books |
ISBN: 1938750772 Global Overview for this book
Registered by jazz-ee2 of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 6/20/2014
Journal Entry 1 by jazz-ee2 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 20, 2014
This author being new to me, I thought I had received this book as an Early Reviewer copy through Library Thing, however now I'm not so sure! When I started it I had no idea what it would be about or what style it would be in, so for me it was a wonderful surprise, in some sense mirroring the story.

I really enjoyed this book. The intrigue of trying to work out what had happened to Ana Lisa/Anne Leigh for her to become who she now was kept me captivated from the start. I too often thought I had worked it out, only for the story to take another twist and disprove my theory.

It reminded me very much of Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes, although altogether less dark. I think that if you like one of these books, you would also enjoy the other.

It is a very visual book, with a real sense of place and character as Ana's life unfolds. I was absolutely with Anne Leigh as she went up - and fell from - the water tower, the dryness and small-town feel of her Nebraska hometown, the rural roughness of Shane. And then as we see Italy through Ana Lisa's eyes, I felt the warmth on my skin, smelt the heady scents of the Botanical Park, apples and bakery. I reveled in her friendship with the quirky Renata, felt increasingly nervous about her relationship with Tommy, experienced the awkwardness around her family. I felt alternately puzzled, elated, saddened and heartened by the apparent craziness of unfurling memories, initially fragmented and then filling in the gaps to complete the jigsaw. Whatever Ana Lisa/Anne Leigh felt, I was right there with her.

I do agree that in some parts I thought 'well I don't think that would have happened that way', however this in no way put me off - I see it as a sign of how fully engaged in the story I was, and ultimately life's not predictable!

I think it would make a great film, someone really ought to snap it up...

A great read from start to finish, definitely worth giving it a whirl.