The Lie

by Helen Dunmore | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Chocbrownie of Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on 6/6/2014
Journal Entry 1 by Chocbrownie from Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Friday, June 6, 2014
My birthday treat - the Summer 2014 Richard & Judy Book Club bundle!

Journal Entry 2 by Chocbrownie at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, November 2, 2014
With Remembrance Day imminent, this book was fitting - a tale of 3 childhood friends with a very sad outcome. Set after World War I with very graphic flashbacks of conditions in the trenches, supported by extracts from World War I Army publications and Daniel's encyclopaedic memory of poems.
I hope someone else can journal their thoughts too on the relationships between the 3 characters - I interpreted Daniel and Frederick's as far deeper than just 'blood brothers' - did Daniel love him too? This theme however is not mentioned in Richard and Judy's Book Club notes at the rear so I guess they were just very strong friends.
I liked the pace of the story as the first 'lie' is addressed by Page 13, the setting in Cornwall and how Dunmore addresses the differences in education for the poor and women of that time.
I wasn't so keen on the 'ghost' aspect, however it seemed feasible in light of what Daniel experienced in the trenches.

Journal Entry 3 by Chocbrownie at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, November 16, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (11/15/2014 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

Posted to DJgib as it was on her wishlist.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by DJgib at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Thank you so much for the RABCK, Chocbrownie. I'm looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 5 by DJgib at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 15, 2015
This was a good read, although for descriptions of love and WWI battlescenes it doesn't come close to Birdsong. However, I did find the description of Daniel's experience of shellshock (or PTSD as we would call it now) credible and moving. I also saw the 'ghost' aspects of the book in that light - I didn't see those sections as really representing appearances of ghosts, rather that the visions and flashbacks in Daniel's head are so strong that they seem real to him.
I definitely think that Daniel loved Frederick - his feelings went beyond friendship. I also think that Daniel's affection for Felicia are more to do with wanting to be close to Frederick through her, rather than any sincere regard for her as a person.
Thanks again for so kindly sending me the book. Onto the Available pile it goes, and I'll aim to find another willing reader soon.