Tales from Moominvalley

by Tove Jansson | Children's Books |
Registered by wingTarnawing of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 5/24/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingTarnawing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, May 24, 2014
Text and illustrations by Tove Jansson. Published in Finland as Det osynliga barnet 1962. (The original title is in Swedish. In Finnish the book is called Näkymätön lapsi and it was also published in 1962.) Translated by Thomas Warburton (1963). Moomin Books 6. New York, Square Fish / Farrar Straus Giroux, 2010. Paperback, 176 pages.
Cover art by Tove Jansson.

By the way, the first ever Moomin book — Småtrollen och den stora översvämningen (1945) — has never been published in English. Even the Finnish translation, Muumit ja suuri tuhotulva wasn't published until March 1992.

Blurb:
In Tales from Moominvalley nine delightfully funny stories reveal that the Moomin family aren't the only citizens of Moominvalley who have curious adventures.

***
Yet another 'different' Moomin book! Tales from Moominvalley is not a novel but a short story collections. Each of the stories in this collection is said to be a kind of psychological study on one type of character. Admittedly, I'm not that interested in psychological stories. I do, however, like Tales from Moominvalley very, very much.

To us Finns, Moomins are much more than just stories for children. Also grown-ups read, reread andenjoy them. So do also I. And I seem to find something new in them almost every time I reread a Moomin book. For Finns, Moomins are philosophic statements. In our minds, Moomin ideology includes tolerating and accepting diversity, being just what you are, etc. They also tell something relevant about Finnish and Swedish-speaking Finnish character.
That's why, I hope you share your thoughts after reading this book, especially if you're not Finnish. And, please, be honest. You don't have to like the book or the characters. I'd just like to know your opinions.

Tove (Marika) Jansson (1914—2001) at Pegasos — A literature related site in Finland
Tove Jansson at Wikipedia
Tove at tovejansson.fi

Tales from Moominvalley at Wikipedia

All Things Moomin
Moomin at Wikipedia

Tampere Art Museum Moominvalley
Moomin Museum at Wikipedia

Journal Entry 2 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, June 5, 2014

Released 8 yrs ago (6/5/2014 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Hyviä lukuhetkiä Muumilaakson väen seurassa!

Journal Entry 3 by wingArvoreswing at Viana do Castelo, Viana do Castelo Portugal on Monday, June 9, 2014
Terveisiä Portugalista!
It's so great to feel the presence of Finland at home :-)
Thank you so much.

Journal Entry 4 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Sunday, April 12, 2020
Sweet and refreshing. Everything I needed for these weird times.
I liked the fact that there are no lies in these stories. All characters are just what they are and there's lots of acceptance between them. The end of each story always makes one think about their own attitudes.
I truly enjoyed it.
Thank you for sharing. It will now be available for other readers.

Journal Entry 5 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Saturday, May 30, 2020
The book will go to feltre next week, as my "one book a month offer" for the month of April 2020.
Enjoy :-)

Journal Entry 6 by feltre at Zografou - Ζωγράφου, Attica Greece on Sunday, June 28, 2020
The book arrived safely. Thank you very much!

Journal Entry 7 by feltre at Zografou - Ζωγράφου, Attica Greece on Thursday, July 23, 2020
I loved the allegories

Journal Entry 8 by feltre at Homesick café in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, November 27, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (11/27/2022 UTC) at Homesick café in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece

Welcome to BookCrossing. Thanks for taking the time to visit the site. Please make a journal entry to let me know that you have found this book, you may do this anonymously or you may join. There is no charge to join this site, you may donate to help support Bookcrossing; but it is not mandatory.
Membership is free and your name and e-mail address is not shared with anyone else and it will never be sold. BookCrossing is a world-wide group of people who love books and wish to share them with others.
Please enjoy this book, if it is not your genre, pass it along to someone else or wild release it. In this way we promote literacy and at the same time we can watch our book continue on its journey.
I look forward to hearing what you thought of the book when you've read it, and to seeing what happens to it next!

Journal Entry 9 by Daedin at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, November 27, 2022
Picked up at the monthly bookcrossing meeting Athens