Hurray! The Bookplate Creator is back!
We've been promising it for a long time, and now it's finally here... We have a brand new Bookplate creator. Read all about it in this Announcement forum post!

FUGITIVE PIECES

by Anne Michaels | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Tuttasb of Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on 3/20/2014
Journal Entry 1 by Tuttasb from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Thursday, March 20, 2014
A New York Times Notable Book of the Year; Winner of the Lannan Literary Fiction Award; Winner of the Guardian Fiction Award.

In 1940 a boy bursts from the mud of a war-torn Polish city, where he has buried himself to hide from the soldiers who murdered his family. His name is Jakob Beer. He is only seven years old. And although by all rights he should have shared the fate of the other Jews in his village, he has not only survived but been rescued by a Greek geologist, who does not recognize the boy as human until he begins to cry.

With this electrifying image, Anne Michaels ushers us into her rapturously acclaimed novel of loss, memory, history, and redemption. As Michaels follows Jakob across two continents, she lets us witness his transformation from a half-wild casualty of the Holocaust to an artist who extracts meaning from its abyss. Filled with mysterious symmetries and rendered in heart-stopping prose, Fugitive Pieces is a triumphant work, a book that should not so much be read as it should be surrendered to.

Journal Entry 2 by Tuttasb at Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Thursday, March 20, 2014
This is one of the "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die".