The Joys of Motherhood

by Buchi Emecheta | Parenting & Families |
ISBN: 043590972x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Haugtussa of Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on 2/2/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Haugtussa from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, February 2, 2019
A feminist literary classic by one of Africa’s greatest women writers, re-issued with a new introduction by Stéphane Robolin.

First published in 1979, The Joys of Motherhood is the story of Nnu Ego, a Nigerian woman struggling in a patriarchal society. Unable to conceive in her first marriage, Nnu is banished to Lagos where she succeeds in becoming a mother. Then, against the backdrop of World War II, Nnu must fiercely protect herself and her children when she is abandoned by her husband and her people. Emecheta “writes with subtlety, power, and abundant compassion” (New York Times).

Journal Entry 2 by Haugtussa at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Friday, March 1, 2019

Released 3 yrs ago (3/1/2019 UTC) at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway

A belated RABCK!

Journal Entry 3 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Monday, March 11, 2019
Arrived today. Thank you so much for sharing :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingArvoreswing at Belmonte, Castelo Branco Portugal on Saturday, October 2, 2021
A good read. The only "flaw" in this book is that the print is too small, even for those of us who wear glasses.

It was sent to bookfrogster for the wish list tag game on the 30th of September. I'm really sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 5 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, October 22, 2021
It's here! Thank you so much for this Arvores, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 6 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 12, 2021
This was such a good book, although really sad in places because of the struggles Nnu Ego goes through. Thank you for sharing this one.

Journal Entry 7 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 21, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (5/18/2022 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off it goes to the winner of the "Hello, here's a book" sweeps. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 8 by wingpam99wing at Isle of Cumbrae, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 21, 2022
I thought this looked familiar and searching back I see I read it back in 2016 - I think I’ll reread it though! Thank you!