God's Spy

by Juan Gomez-jurado | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by DubaiReader of Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on 3/22/2013
Journal Entry 1 by DubaiReader from Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Friday, March 22, 2013
Amazon synopsis:
In the days following the death of Pope John Paul II, 115 cardinals are called to the Vatican in order to take part in the conclave and elect the new Pope. With Rome under siege to foreign press and thousands of mourners, the last thing it needs is a serial killer on the loose... Paola Dicanti is a profiler who works with the Italian police. She has been put in charge of profiling serial killers in a department of one - i.e. herself - but so far all her experience of serial killers is theoretical. This is until she is called to the church of Santa Maria in the Vatican state. A cardinal has been found murdered, his eyes destroyed, his hands cut off. It seems that this is not the first victim - another cardinal was found in similar circumstances but the authorities didn't want a scandal. Recovering from a bitter affair with her boss, Paola begins to build her profile using information from the scene of the crime, from the autopsy, and from forensic evidence. She is helped in this by Anthony Fowler, a priest from the States. But it turns out that Fowler is no ordinary priest - he clearly has links to the CIA, and knows a lot about the serial killer than Dicanti could ever have guessed...

Journal Entry 2 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Friday, March 22, 2013
This book is not a genre that I read so I'm passing it on via the Reverse Tag Game.
It has been selected by JShaw for her father in UK.
I hope you enjoy it Mr F :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingJ4Shawwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, June 2, 2013

This book has arrived safe and sound with my Dad in Preston, England.
Have asked him to keep hold of it once he's read it for me to pick it up when I visit in September.

Journal Entry 4 by wingJ4Shawwing at Bayles, Victoria Australia on Thursday, March 5, 2015
An aggressive 'who dunnit" with a very original (well to me at least) backdrop of the Vatican.
For some reason I really struggled to make more than 30 pages per sitting's progress with this book for its first half. I can't understand why though as I enjoyed the plot and characters from the offset. As a result I gave myself a good talking to, and knocked off the final 100 pages in one sitting on a windy cold evening. It's been ages since I read a crime novel!
I think my main critique would have to be that the author would quote the character in varying ways throughout the book. Sometimes by surname, sometimes by first name, and other times by their title. Given the names were mainly Spanish or Italian, this got pretty confusing early on when trying to establish who was who.

I read this book for the 666 for 2015 - An Around the World Reading Challenge . Although the book was set in Rome, Italy, the author is Spanish and made mention of Spain and included a Spanish character.

Journal Entry 5 by wingJ4Shawwing at Bayles, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (3/11/2015 UTC) at Bayles, Victoria Australia

This is off in a BookBag for the March 2015 Templestow Meet-up that I am unable to attend.

Released 4 yrs ago (9/5/2017 UTC) at --- Wild Released Somewhere In Melbourne in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

Off to the book swap for Indigenous Literacy Day at 500 Bourke St.