Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

by Lynne Truss | Nonfiction |
Registered by Stephario of Decatur, Alabama USA on 2/26/2013
Journal Entry 1 by Stephario from Decatur, Alabama USA on Tuesday, February 26, 2013
"A panda walks into a cafe. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

"'Why?' asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"'I'm a panda,' he says, at the door. 'Look it up.'

"The Waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

"'Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.'

"So, punctuation really does matter, even if it is only occasionally a matter of life and death." -- Synopsis from the back of the book.

As a side note, I loved this book. Due to my previous career in medical transcription, where everything had to be absolutely perfect all the time, I developed into a grammar queen, constantly correcting both my husband and my son regarding their grammar and English usage as well as pointing out errors to the grocery manager whenever I see a poorly written hand-lettered sign at the store. Despite today's increasing dependence on texts, instant messages, and "tweets," there is still no excuse for not using proper punctuation and grammar in life. If you cringe every time you see a sign at the grocery store with a misplaced apostrophe or the poor punctuation of a restaurant menu grates on your nerves, then this is the book for you!

Journal Entry 2 by Stephario at Decatur, Alabama USA on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Released 9 yrs ago (2/28/2013 UTC) at Decatur, Alabama USA

Sent this out today for a tag in the USA Wishlist Tag Game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Received today.
Thank you so much for tagging me with this book.
I can't wait to share it with my 18 year old son whose nickname happens to be
"The Grammar Nazi" because of the habit he has of constantly correcting our entire family every time we speak.
I always tell him that I'm lucky I can even speak at all considering I was raised by a Kentuckian (Dad) and Austrian (Mom). LOL!
One day I (jokingly) said to him, "Ain't no reason fer ya'll to be gittin' all uppitty 'bout hows I'm a-talkin'." I thought the poor kid was gonna stroke out ... When he was finally able to speak again he said " There are so many mistakes that I don't even know where to begin."
Oh, I do love my son but he makes teasing him soooooo easy.
:D

Journal Entry 4 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Friday, May 16, 2014
This book made me laugh out loud twice.

"Yet there will always be a problem about getting rid of the hyphen:
if it's not extra-marital sex (with a hyphen), it is perhaps extra marital sex,
which is quite a different bunch of coconuts."

And,

"Oh yes, sir. There's no doubt about it, sir.
The Punctuation Murderer has struck again."

What I liked most about this book was the Panda joke and the Words of Wisdom on page 182.

"...by tragic historical coincidence a period of abysmal under-educating in literacy has coincided with this unexpected explosion of global self-publishing. Thus people who don't know their apostrophe from their elbow are positively invited to disseminate their writings to anyone on the planet stupid enough to double-click and scroll."

The above quote makes me wonder if she has spent some time downloading free ebooks from Amazon.

Journal Entry 5 by book_drunkard at for Christmas, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (12/10/2014 UTC) at for Christmas, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

I didn't sign up for HGG this year as I'm still in mourning and having trouble staying focused on anything and everything this Holiday Season ... but I did want to send you a little something and let you know I'm thinking about you this Christmas and I do sincerely appreciate your friendship.
Many Hugs and Merry Christmas!
May 2015 bring you many Blessings ... and awesome books! :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Don't lets get hasty here;

a little p instead of capital, and a
crazy coma of a comma going zombie!

Journal Entry 7 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Released 7 yrs ago (1/6/2015 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

Well, I wound up with 2 copies of this book, so I wanted to keep this one traveling.

I found someone that wanted the chance to read it too, so off it goes to shout orders on grammar into someone else's face! ha ha ;P

Journal Entry 8 by fiddlesoup at Riverview, Florida USA on Friday, January 16, 2015
Got through booksfreeswap