Autobiography of a Face

by Lucy Grealy | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by quietorchid of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 2/8/2013
Journal Entry 1 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, February 8, 2013
Disturbing, well written memoir of a young woman who grew up disfigured from childhood cancer. Grealy was 9 when she was diagnosed and lost the right half of her jaw. For the rest of her years, through the writing of her memoir she was wrapped in negative feelings about herself because of her disfigurement.

Yes, we are a culture that is obsessed with beauty, doubly so if you are female. Grealy writes movingly and well of feeling the sharp slap when someone points out you are different, disfigured, 'ugly' (gee ya think that's NEWS to the person? Thanks for the update.) Yet while Grealy talks about how her face isn't her measure, she also admits to spending her life waiting for her face to be 'normal'. A very disturbing and disappointing place to be stuck in.

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, September 30, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (9/30/2013 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Put into The Medicine Chest Bookbox IV to look for a new reader!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2013
I have heard about this book and look forward to reading it. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, August 15, 2014
A captivating memoir written by someone who has fought a battle with cancer since 9, and who bravely shares her experience and feelings. It's really touching, how in some way she has been waiting all her life, hoping that one day her face will be normal and her life can finally start. The afterword, written by Grealy's friend, really adds a lot of the story. While Grealy's memoir was well received, Grealy wants to be noted for her literacy skills, not for her illness.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAzukiwing at Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 10, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (4/10/2015 UTC) at Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This book is back into the Medicine Chest again!

Journal Entry 6 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, October 15, 2015
Came back in Medicine Chest V. I'll send it on its way again.

Released 5 yrs ago (1/20/2016 UTC) at Gingko Coffee Shop - Snelling And Minnehaha in Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Left on the shelf to find a new reader!