Remarkable Creatures

by Tracy Chevalier | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingFlutterbies9wing of Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on 11/12/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingFlutterbies9wing from Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, November 12, 2012
Cover.

"On a windswept English beach in the early 19th century, two women make discoveries that change the world. And is so doing find friendship, pride - and trouble.

From the moment she's struck by lightening as a baby, it is clear Mary Anning is different. Her discovery of strange fossilised creatures in the cliffs of Lyme Regis sets the world alight. But Mary must face powerful prejudice from a male scientific establishment, not to mention vicious gossip and the heartbreak of forbidden love. Then - in prickly, clever Elizabeth Philpot, a fossil-obsessed middle-class spinster - she finds a champion, and a rival. Despite their differences in class and age, Mary and Elizabeth's loyalty and passion for the truth must win out ....".

Picked up in a charity hospice shop for reading and registering.

Journal Entry 2 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, November 12, 2012
So glad I picked this up. Having read everything else she has written (except Falling Angels) I was pretty sure I would be happy with the author's style.

This was a lovely mixture of fact and conjecture, woven into a very neat and satisfying story. The language is beautifully graphic and the unlikely friendship, so unusual for its time, runs through a series of difficulties before resolving itself into a cosy companionship. The struggles for Mary and Elizabeth with men over gaining their righful recognition fortifies both the women's characters through the years and the background of scientific change in the era is very evocative. In fact strong women abound in this book with Mary's mother proving her business savvy when her husband dies and other characters who were also breaking the mould for rising femininity in this age.
I liked this story very much and found myself at the end of this book before I realised it.

At present I have no plans for this book so I will make it available.

Released 9 yrs ago (3/26/2013 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Many years ago you introduced me to this writer, since when I've read (and enjoyed) all but one of the titles. Hope you enjoy this fascinating tale.

Apologies for not getting this when I meant to. On its way now (just after Easter).

Journal Entry 4 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 6, 2013
Oops, while reading Wings another book, from my Easter Bunny parcels, I realised much to my dismay have I totally forgot to come make a ‘caught’ JE on this book, here it is now…

Oh, I do like Tracy Chevalier’s writing and I have always wanted to know more about the fossil hunter Mary Anning happily this book then ticks two of the wishes from my bumper box of wishes. Many thanks! The storage of the huge quantity of Easter Choc accompanying my Easter Bunny books is no longer the problem it was on its arrival…eh, hem… YUM!

Journal Entry 5 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 28, 2022
Interesting though not in the mood for it and rather whizzed through it a couple of weeks ago to have it ready to release, Sunday 27 November.

Chevalier's key characters are so well drawn and intriguing and her historical backgrounds so effectively researched she neatly has one just going along with her direction unquestionably.

Well, usually, this time I was too distracted by ill health and stuff, so my consentration rather ruined.

Journal Entry 6 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 28, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (11/27/2022 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Released directly into the hands of another lovely BookCrosser, bookfrogster, at a wonderful Old Gang, of Edinburgh BookCrossers Meet-Up. Destined for the LFL in the Meadows, one of the huge parklands in the centre of Edinburgh. Here we are, with the closing of the Filmhouse Cafe Bar back at Biblos where we used to meet-up years ago. Hugs rainbow3.

● RELEASE NOTES:

DEAR FINDER:
I'm a special book. I'm not forgotten, lost or disgarded. I was left here on purpose to find new readers. On www.bookcrossing.com. you can follow my journey.

Take me with you, read me, and please leave a note about my whereabouts on the website - anonymously, if you prefer.

Then, please release me again so I can travel on, cheers rainbow3.

Journal Entry 7 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 29, 2022
Caught at the Old Gang Meet up to wild release in the Meadows. Probably this weekend.

Released 2 mos ago (12/2/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library - Meadows Community Garden in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Set free in the Little Free Library. Happy reading!