Welcome Home: Travels in Smalltown Canada

by Stuart McLean | Travel |
Registered by wingifyouknewwing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 8/13/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingifyouknewwing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, August 13, 2012
This was okay.

As always, MacLean's descriptions of places, landscapes, and especially of interesting 'ordinary' Canadians are warm and charming. This early work is not as amusing nor engaging as his later books, but the beginnings of McLean's talents are evident here.

Unfortunately, I found the history bits mostly pretty dry, and sometimes important details were omitted that made them difficult for a non-history-buff to understand. (For instance, MacLean assumed a knowledge of the Battle of Big Horn that I do not possess.)

I read about half of this before I was lured away by more tempting titles on my bookshelf. I think it's unlikely that I'll get back to it, so I'll pass it along for someone else to enjoy.

Journal Entry 2 by wingifyouknewwing at Little Free Library - 211 10A St. NW in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, October 14, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (10/13/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library - 211 10A St. NW in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released in the Little Free Library, around 2pm.

Journal Entry 3 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, October 14, 2021
So nice to catch one of your books again, ifyouknew, it has been a long time, hasn’t it?
I love Stuart McLean, and Saturday morning just hasn’t been the same without him. Thank you so much for leaving his book for me.
😊
Best wishes to you and those that you love, stay safe and Happy Bookcrossing!