The Little Friend

by Donna Tartt | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jawin of Launceston, Tasmania Australia on 10/26/2003
Journal Entry 1 by jawin from Launceston, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, October 26, 2003
The setting is Alexandria, Mississippi, where one Mother’s Day a little boy named Robin Cleve Dufresnes was found hanging from a tree in his parents’ yard. Twelve years later Robin’s murder is still unsolved and his family remains devastated. So it is that Robin’s sister Harriet sets out to unmask his killer. Aided only by her worshipful friend Hely, Harriet crosses her town’s rigid lines of race and caste and burrows deep into her family’s history of loss. This was a bit hard to get into, but worth the effort in the end.

Journal Entry 2 by jawin from Launceston, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, October 26, 2003
sent in book ray today as follows:
puppymummy Melbourne, Australia
veracity Sydney, Australia
zugenia Rhode Island, NY, USA
kymberlie Houston, TX, USA
ladyofunicorns New Mexico, USA
earthangel Newfoundland, Canada

Journal Entry 3 by puppymummy from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, November 1, 2003
Arrived safely in Melbourne. I'm intrigued by the description, and this is a new author for me.

Journal Entry 4 by puppymummy from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, December 1, 2003
i'm having a lot of trouble getting into this one. I have been reading it for what seems forever (about two weeks - should have read at least three books of this size by now!) and it is going really slowly, I'm only about one-third through. I will persevere a little longer, but at the moment it is looking to become one of a very few books that I might not manage to finish.

Journal Entry 5 by puppymummy from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Thursday, December 11, 2003
Well, I did finish, but I certainly had trouble! It felt like hard work reading this one. I realised right at the very end of the book that the quote from Ruth Rendell about what a great murder mystery it was is actually about her previous book, which really led me astray!
I found her imagery really good, but I wish that she had chosen something more uplifting to write about. Was childhood really that unpleasant?

Journal Entry 6 by puppymummy at on Tuesday, January 27, 2004
Released on Saturday, January 24, 2004 at Post Office in Melbourne, Australia Controlled Releases.

Finally got this in the mail. I am really sorry about taking so long!

Journal Entry 7 by veracity from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 27, 2004
Received this morning, along with some other suprises!

Journal Entry 8 by veracity from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, March 2, 2004
Oops.. This one got lost at the bottom of my TBR pile. Will make an effort to finish it and get it off this week.

Journal Entry 9 by veracity from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, July 16, 2004
I sent this one off to Ladyofunicorns a 2 or 3 months ago as Zugenia passed, and I couldn't contact Kymberlie. I'm concerned that it hasn't been journalled yet, but hopefully the surface mail is just taking longer than usual. I'd hate for this to be lost.

Journal Entry 10 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Saturday, September 4, 2004
I can't believe that the mail took this long. It finally got here! I will be putting it in with the rest of my ring/ray tbr books and will get it read as soon as I can. I will then do another journal entry.

Journal Entry 11 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, December 28, 2005
I am so sorry that I haven't made a journal entry before now! The imagery was nice but it was a depressing book and I can't say that I would recommend it to anyone unless they needed a good cry or something like that.

I sent a pm to Earthangel a couple of days ago...

Journal Entry 12 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Sunday, January 22, 2006
I sent another pm to EarthAngel today because I haven't heard back yet. Just to let everyone know what is going on!

Journal Entry 13 by ladyofunicorns at Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Since earthangel never got back to me, and this is a bookray, I have made it available.