Happiness TM

by Will Ferguson | Humor |
ISBN: 1841952338 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Heavy-P of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 9/25/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Heavy-P from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 25, 2003
A short excerpt from the introduction explains it better than I ever could:
"It started with an off-hand comment by a book publicist in response to an observation I had made -namely that the authors of self-help books are always the most screwed-up people you ever meet on any book tour. The publicist in question replied, just in passing, "I'll tell you one thing. If anyone ever wrote a self-help book that actually worked we'd all be in trouble." ".

"What I learned on the mountain" by Tupak Soiree is that book. Everyone who reads it finds out how to live in harmony with everyone, how to have self-respect whatever their status or career and how to have perfect sex every time. Soon, all over the States, people are quitting their important high-pressure jobs to live happily in cheerfully-run communes, giving up drugs, smoking, meat and unhealthy foods and living together without crime or fear. For Edwin, the unfortunate publisher of the book, this has all gone too far. If the government doesn't get him, the tobacco, fast-food and drug companies will. There's only one thing to do: set out to find Tupak Soiree and persude him to undo it all...

This is a good satire on the self-help industry, with an amusing mix of self-destructive authors and cynical publishers. Hiding in there is an interesting thought as well: maybe it's our failures and suffering that make us into individuals.