The Voyage of the Beagle (Wordsworth Classics of World Literature)

by Charles Darwin | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by roddamliz of Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on 8/16/2011
Journal Entry 1 by roddamliz from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 16, 2011
A wonderful deep book that explores the attitudes of people in the 18th century and the world that the Beagle sailed to

Journal Entry 2 by roddamliz at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (8/27/2011 UTC) at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom

Colchester Free Festival

Journal Entry 3 by wingardachywing at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Ooops! Due to my failing memory this book never made it to the Colchester Free Festival although 1,700 did. I will set it free somewhere else.

Journal Entry 4 by wingardachywing at Camden Court Hotel in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, April 8, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (4/13/2012 UTC) at Camden Court Hotel in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

On the BC Convention book buffet table.

Journal Entry 5 by Xarodoc at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, April 22, 2012
Took this book from the book table at the Convention.

Journal Entry 6 by Xarodoc at Jugendgästehaus in Bingen am Rhein, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Released 7 mos ago (6/2/2021 UTC) at Jugendgästehaus in Bingen am Rhein, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Really interesting book. I wonder if the pupils in the UK have to read it at school.
The scientific parts about the flora, founa and geology was of lesser interest to me, in part because I'm not familiar with the scientific terms.
But what REALLY caught my attention had been the despriptions of the people, their characters and costumes. Unfortunately I can't memorize it all.
It'd be interesting to compare the places and peolpe of this time with what is now.
New Zealand is certainly seen much different today than by Darwin.

When I think of Charles Darwin I see this impressive historic figure. It is hard to visualize him as the young apprentice who swings boalas and entagles the legs of his horse. :-)

The book will travel with me today to the nice town of Bingen on the Rhine river.
Beautiful lookout spots there!